WordPress has always updated their version for better changes, so has our themes. To make your site run smoothly with the latest version, you need to update theme and plugins. But in the process, some of you still experience difficulties. Here’s the steps you can follow!
Download Theme Files from ThemeForest
The first step you need to do is downloading theme files to be able to update the theme. If you use Envato Toolkit for updating later, you may skip this step.
- Log into your ThemeForest account
- Go to download. This is where you will find all of your ThemeForest purchases.
- Find Dahz theme you’ve bought, click on the download button and select the installable WordPress file only.
Keep the downloaded files in a safe place so you can use it for installation later.
Back Up Your Website
Before updating, I recommend you to back up your website in case anything goes wrong. you can either backup your website through cPanel or even via plugin. Proceed to the next step if you already get your backup files safe & sound.
There are three methods you can choose to update your theme. Here’s the options:
1. Using Envato Toolkit
This is the recommended method to use for theme updating. You don’t need to download the new version, backup the old version, delete files and reinstall theme. By using this plugin, you can install and update your ThemeForest themes right from your dashboard.
You can find the tutorial here.
2. Via WordPress Dashboard
- Open your WordPress Dashboard
- Go to Appearance > Themes
- Deactivate your current theme and activate other theme (Twenty Fifteen).
- Delete the theme that will be updated.
- Upload the newest .zip file you’ve downloaded before from ThemeForest, then activate the theme.
- Go to Customizer > Import
- Click Choose File button then browse your backup .json file.
- Done! You will see a notification that indicated you’ve imported it successfully.
3. Via FTP
- Login into your FTP account
- Browse to wp-content > themes
- Delete your current theme folder
- Upload the unzipped folder you’ve downloaded from ThemeForest before
- Make sure that you’ve uploaded all the files successfully.
After successfully updating your theme, your last task is to update the latest version of plugin that’s included in updated theme (usually the plugins are Dahz DF Shortcodes, Visual Composer, and Revolution Slider). You need to update the plugins in order to use the latest theme version or latest WordPress version without a hitch.
- Go to Appearance > Install Plugins
- Deactivate and delete the existing version of Dahz DF Shortcodes, Revolution Slider and WPBakery Visual Composer plugin
- You will get new notification that tell you to install Dahz DF Shortcodes, Revolution Slider, and Visual Composer. If you do not find it, go to Appearance > Install Plugin
- Install and activate the plugins.
You can also see the video tutorial below to update theme and plugins manually